Postgraduate Certificate in Climate Entrepreneurship

Do you have an entrepreneurial mindset and want your ideas to have a positive impact on climate change? Do you want to equip yourself with the innovative skills and creative confidence to turn your ideas into solutions that aid society in mitigating and adapting to climate change? Graduates from this course will develop their creative potential, their critical and lateral thinking and an understanding of the societal and economic value that can be achieved by applying an innovative approach to tackling climate change and environmental sustainability.


Developed in collaboration with the Trinity School of Natural Sciences, this Postgraduate Certificate in

Climate Entrepreneurship aims to provide an integrated approach, preparing students for both the opportunities and challenges emerging from climate change. The course will provide aspiring entrepreneurs and those who want to make a difference with the skills they need to have a positive impact and play a role in tackling climate change. Course students will develop their critical and lateral thinking skills to take an innovative approach to problem-solving across the many interrelated aspects of climate action. Together with a deeper understanding of the societal and economic value that can be achieved, graduates will have the creative confidence to turn ideas into solutions that aid in managing future climate risks and improving environmental sustainability.


This course will provide learners with the opportunity to contribute to climate change goals as set out by the government by equipping you with:

  • a set of frameworks and tools to identify and generate entrepreneurial opportunities that will have a positive impact on climate change
  • the skills to plan and develop strategies, action plans or sustainable ventures that contribute to climate change mitigation and drive economic development
    the ability to analyse theoretical concepts associated with systems innovation and entrepreneurship in relation to climate change
  • the communication skills to interact with stakeholders and enable behavioural changes
    the knowledge & skills to evaluate ethical, social, commercial and political factors in decision-making to support climate entrepreneurship


  • Module 1: Systems Innovation for Positive Climate Action (10 ECTS)
    This module explores principles and practices associated with systems thinking in the context of climate change and how processes of systems innovation and creativity can support positive climate action.
  • Module 2 – Entrepreneurship Opportunities in Climate Adaptation and Mitigation (10 ECTS)
    This module enables students to identify opportunities for entrepreneurship that can positively impact climate change. You will gain an understanding of the value of entrepreneurship, innovation and commercialisation and its potential to positively impact climate change and sustainability.
  • Module 3 – Climate Enterprise Development (10 ECTS)
    This module introduces the process involved in creating, leading and scaling an entrepreneurial start-up venture and developing a sustainable green business.

Entry Requirements

Applicants can also apply without a Level 8 Honours degree (2.1 or higher) and their application will be reviewed under Trinity’s Recognition of Prior Learning Policy. Please note that evidence of ECT or NFA certified qualifications in the past 3 years are important.

Course Information

NFQ: Level 9


AWARD TYPE: Major Award


LOCATION: Online and Tangent, Trinity’s Ideas Workspace for scheduled workshops.


DURATION: This programme will be delivered in a blended format part-time from September 2024 to March 2025.


COST: Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the Springboard+ initiative funding criteria. For employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% – €375 will be payable before registration. For applicants who do not meet the Springboard+ eligibility criteria the fee is €3,750.

8th August 2024

Phone: 086 032 0487