Postgraduate Diploma in Bioeconomy with Business
The Postgraduate Diploma in Bioeconomy with Business is a flexible, one-year part-time, blended programme designed to enable upskilling of those in the workplace and those seeking to engage in further study. The bioeconomy is one of the EU’s largest and most important sectors encompassing agriculture, forestry, fisheries, food, bio-energy and bio-based products with an annual turnover of circa €2 trillion, employing around 18 million people, creating €621 billion benefits and 4.2% of the EU’s GDP. The bio-based industries have the potential to generate 1 million innovative jobs across the EU by 2030.
This level 9 programme is positioned at the interface of primary production, sustainable processing, biotechnology, new product development, supply chain dynamics, innovation, business and policy. Co-developed by an interdisciplinary team from MTU, UCD and Teagasc, students will gain a deep and critical understanding of the theories, concepts and frameworks of the bioeconomy from technological, environmental, social and business perspectives. A suite of innovative pedagogies (peer-to-peer learning, place-based learning, action learning, professional and work-based learning, site visits and case studies) will be applied across the curriculum. This approach will equip graduates with the skills and competencies to exchange and apply learnings (bioeconomy in practice) within the workplace, be that public or private sectors, SMEs or large organisations.
IKC3 offer micro courses which allows participants to take individual modules of our programmes depending on their learning needs and capacity.
- Bioeconomy Model for the Transition to a Low Carbon Economy
- Bioeconomy Feedstocks
- Life Cycle Assessment
- Conventional Valorisation Technologies
- Biorefinery Processes & Technologies
- Biobased Value Chains, Products, Processes & Markets
- Green Technologies Project
- Policy & Social Aspects of the Bioeconomy
- Knowledge, Innovation & Industry
- Work-based Learning: Bioeconomy Improvement Opportunity
Applicants must hold a minimum honours NFQ level 8 degree (minimum level 2nd class honours) in science, agricultural science, business management, engineering or other relevant area. Ideally applicants will possess relevant experience in one of the following areas: manufacturing; research and development; laboratory; quality; supply chain; procurement; engineering policy; funding or sales and marketing in one or more of the following sectors: agricultural; food & beverage; life science; chemical; packaging; construction and policy. The University’s policy in relation to recognition of prior learning (RPL) also applies.
NFQ: Level 9
AWARD TYPE: Major Award
LOCATION: Online and MTU Kerry South Campus and UCD Campus for scheduled workshops.
DURATION: This programme will be delivered in a blended format part-time from January 2023 to December 2023.
COST: Fees do not apply to applicants who meet the Springboard+ initiative funding criteria. For employed applicants the HEA will pay 90% of the programme fee, the remaining 10% – €540 will be payable before registration. For applicants who do not meet the Springboard+ eligibility criteria the fee is €5,400.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:9th December 2022
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Lifelong Learning Office
Phone: +353 (0)66 719 1701